After 23 years in relative obscurity, the Sapper’s Memorial is being placed back in to active service in Flin Flon.
The memorial, originally dedicated in May 1989 by 21 Field Engineer Squadron, Canadian Military Engineers, was placed in a prominent location near the main entrance to the Flin Flon armoury.
The memorial is dedicated to all those that have served in the military of Flin Flon since 1940.
The memorial has remained standing in its original location since the closure of 21 Field Engineer Squadron in 1995, and was only removed from the shopping mall complex
for construction and parking lot preparation.
The structure, familiar to most area residents, consists of an extra widened Bailey bridge panel with a concrete-stone finished mine head frame superimposed on it.
The bridge panel is synonymous with engineer bridge construction and the concrete head frame represents the mining industry to which Flin Flon owes its existence.
Plans are now being made for an official rededication ceremony.
The relocation and rededication of the Sapper’s Memorial would not be possible without the North of 53 Consumer’s Co-op, who took over the armoury property for the new shopping complex. The memorial was stored over the construction period and has now been placed in a prominent location in the parking lot area.
We join all other veterans of Flin Flon in thanking the Co-op management, board of directors, and staff for their dedication to and recognition of the military of Flin Flon.
Frank S. Gira, Lieutenant Colonel, retired, and Morley G. Naylor, Major, retired,
21 Field Engineer Squadron Historical Committee