Planning on holding a private event in Saskatchewan with more than 15 people? The provincial government has some advice - don't, at least not right now.
The province pulled back limits on indoor gathering sizes Tuesday after 34 new cases of COVID-19 were reported within Saskatchewan. Of those cases, 19 were either in Saskatoon or Regina - nine other cases were located in the north central zone, which includes Prince Albert. The remaining cases were found in the central west region, which includes Kindersley. Saskatchewan now has 238 active cases of COVID-19.
Under the new rules on gatherings, all private gatherings will be restricted to 15 people or less - the change will go into effect Oct. 16.
The change in gathering rules is due to the rising number of cases associated with public and private gatherings, including outbreaks at Yorkton-area businesses, a church in Prince Albert which has been connected to several cases in northern Saskatchewan, cases on Hutterite colonies, cases tied to a social gathering in Saskatoon earlier this fall and others.
Saskatchewan chief medical health officer Dr. Saqib Shahab said the province will also recommend mask use in all indoor public locations where people cannot reliably keep two metres of distance between each other.
“Even with increasing community transmission rates we still have the power to effect change, to flatten that curve, but it means all residents have to do their part to help keep their friends and family safe,” said Shahab in a news release.
Anyone showing possible COVID-19 symptoms is asked to stay home and self-isolate.