1. Why are you running for council? What are your qualifications? Do you have experience with public office?
I am running for the council position, as I was approached and encouraged to run in the 2018 election. When the byelection was called, I felt I should step forward. I have a lot of experience with policy and governance after working in public service for many years. I have volunteered myself to many organizations. I believe I have good ideas, am a good listener and really care about the people of Flin Flon.
2. What would you wish to address with local government if elected?
As a council member, I would do much networking with community, business and individuals and would like to hear what their needs and wants are now and into the future. I would like to see people engaged in building community.
3. What are your policies on local finances and taxation?
I have no policies on local finances and taxation. I believe that this council is doing the best to their ability and would voice any concerns when and where appropriate.
4. What do believe should be the City’s priorities on infrastructure?
I believe the City is doing what needs to be done with respect to the infrastructure and long term sustainability. I have attended a meeting where consultation work was done to make recommendations to the City.
5. Hudbay is currently planning to shut down most of its operations within Flin Flon within the next two years. As a candidate, how does this affect your platform and what plan do you have regarding the Hudbay closure?
With respect to the downsizing of Hudbay operations in Flin Flon, it would be my hope that the city council as well and community members, groups, organizations, business, and others would be open to working together to formulate a community plan. I know a lot of work has been done with branding and would like to see it built upon.
6. The City is planning several capital spending projects in the coming years, including a replacement for the Flin Flon Aqua Centre. What stance do you hold on these projects?
With respect to spending on capital projects and spending on infrastructure, I believe it is a very good thing to do. We need strong infrastructure to retain and keep this community viable and a great place to live. I am very pleased with what I have seen and heard from people who have stepped up to support getting a new Aqua Center.
7. What is your plan for Flin Flon’s future?
I don’t have a “plan” for the future. I want to see people stay positive and work together. I have always enjoyed living and working in this community and will for some time to come. I know there are groups working on various projects that will benefit this community.
8. How do you plan on working with nearby communities and councils?
I am very open to working with nearby communities and councils. I believe we learn from one another and can prosper from sharing ideas and sharing goods and services. Looking forward, together.
9. What are your thoughts on your opponents?
I wish all of the candidates well and thank them for putting their names forward for this position.
10. In 25 words or less - what is your elevator pitch for undecided voters?
I feel I know the people of Flin Flon. I would serve the citizens to the best of my ability and ask people to get out and vote.
11. What question do you wish we would have asked?
“Why do you live in Flin Flon and what made you make Flin Flon your home?”
Five people have put their names forward for the vacant seat on Flin Flon’s city council. The Reminder has sent each of those candidates a list of 11 questions with specific rules and structures, designed to show the public their stances on several local subjects.
Each candidate was tasked with providing answers of 60 words or less - answers far over that count have been cut off, as per the agreed upon rules. Answers have been edited for spelling, grammar and Canadian Press style, but the content of each answer is as the candidate submitted it.
The answers solely represent the views of the candidates - they do not reflect the views of The Reminder.