Skip to content

Bomber Game Report: Flin Flon shut out in Game 2, beaten 3-0

Flin Flon could not get on the scoresheet in Game 2 Saturday night, eating a 3-0 shutout loss to Battlefords.
Bomber Game Report.

Flin Flon could not get on the scoresheet in Game 2 Saturday night, eating a 3-0 shutout loss to Battlefords.

The Stars got one goal in each period while goaltender Josh Kotai closed off Flin Flon's offence, despite the Bombers getting more shots on goal.

Flin Flon headed into the game without captain Lucas Fry, who was out of the lineup due to a skate cut to his arm he sustained in Game 1. Rookie Aiden Chow would slot into the lineup for the Bombers in the captain's stead.

Jackson Allan scored the first goal of the game midway through the first period, jumping on the rebound of a shot by Steven Kesslering. Harmon Laser-Hume stopped Kesslering's chance in close, but the puck bounced off his pad, about four feet in the air, then down into the crease, where Allan knocked it home.

Penalty trouble struck the Bombers in the second period, with the team assessed four penalties in a row through the frame. During one of those penalties, Holden Doell made the Bombers pay, firing a shot on net and causing a mess of bodies in front, during which the puck crossed the Bomber goal line. The Bombers argued the goal should not stand due to Laser-Hume being interfered with, having his stick knocked out of his hand during the battle, but the goal would still stand.

Flin Flon had chances but appeared almost cursed, with several chances either hitting the post, being deflected away or stopped by Kotai. Jacob Vockler had a prime chance after a Stars giveaway in their own zone, but was stopped. Brent Gulenchyn had a wraparound chance that was stopped. Jeremi Tremblay beat Kotai with a shot but hit the iron.

Early in the third, the Stars converted again, this time from Kian Bell, who took a pass from Keiton Klein behind the Bomber net 20 seconds in and hammered it past Laser-Hume. The scoring would end there.

Flin Flon threw everything but the kitchen sink at Kotai in the third period, but the Stars kept the maroon and white at bay.

Things got chippy late, when Aiden Chow laid out a Stars player with a big bodycheck in the final minute of play. That caused a fracas, with both Liam Bridger and Jordan Grill and Reece Richmond and the Stars' Wilson Steele pulling each other out of the fray for a scrap. Despite being almost half a foot shorter than Steele, Richmond got the takedown in his matchup, giving Flin Flon one of their few wins of the contest - Bridger and Grill's scrap, a welterweight tilt, was closer to a draw.

When the final horn went, the Stars had a shutout victory and a 2-0 series advantage heading to Flin Flon. Kotai made 36 saves in the victory - Laser-Hume stopped 26 pucks.

The series will come back to Flin Flon next weekend, with Game 3 taking place April 21 and Game 4 April 22 at the Whitney Forum.

push icon
Be the first to read breaking stories. Enable push notifications on your device. Disable anytime.
No thanks