The Reminder is making its archives back to 2003 available on our website. Please note that, due to technical limitations, archive articles are presented without the usual formatting.
Jonathon Naylor Editor A Flin Flon man has been arrested after allegedly trying to videotape a woman through the window of her home in The Pas. Police have seized videotapes and computers from the 47-year-old suspect, whose name was not immediately released as charges were still pending. Sgt. Lee Fortin of The Pas RCMP could not say whether the seized items contain evidence of voyeurism beyond the incident in The Pas. He said it will take weeks for the detachment to go through all of the video. The computer items will be sent to the RCMP Technological Crime Unit in Winnipeg for review. The suspect's arrest followed a phone call shortly before midnight last Wednesday, Aug. 24, from a woman in The Pas who saw a suspicious man outside her window. Foot chase Mounties located the suspect, who attempted to evade them. A foot chase ensued, with police apprehending him as he tried to hide in a nearby yard. Police brought the man into custody and found him to be in possession of a handheld video camera. Further investigation confirmed he had been attempting to videotape the woman without her knowledge. RCMP executed search warrants on the man's vehicle, which was found near the scene, as well as his home in Flin Flon, with tapes and computers seized. As of press time Monday, charges of voyeurism and trespass by night were pending against the suspect. He is scheduled to appear in court in The Pas on Sept. 26. The suspect was released on what police called "strict conditions," including a daily curfew and an order not to have contact with the victim. More charges could be laid depending on the content of the items seized. Sgt. Fortin said the suspect's name will be released once the initial charges are laid. That was expected to take place as early as Tuesday.8/31/2011