How well do you know the Flin Flon area, past and present? Try our local quiz to find out.
1. Over the past decade, the Flin Flon Community Choir has brought several big-budget productions to the stage. Which of the following plays has the choir not performed in that time: Beauty and the Beast, Fiddler on the Roof, The Lion King, Chicago.
2. Flin Flon saw three mayors serve during the 1990s. Which of the following was not among them: Gordon Mitchell, Graham Craig, Dennis Ballard, Nazir Ahmad.
3. Name one of the two current assistant coaches for the Flin Flon Bombers.
4. Which of the following is not a street in Flin Flon: East Street, West Street, Danard Avenue, White Avenue.
5. “Don’t Mess With the _____ ___” was the directive emblazed on towels fans waved at Flin Flon Bomber playoff games in the spring of 2016.
6. Earlier this year, the former Amigo’s take-out restaurant on Green Street was demolished. The building had once been known as the Happy _____ convenience store.
7. Bea _________ was a Flin Flon city councillor from 1988 to 1994.
8. The Flinonian was the long-time title of which Flin Flon school’s yearbook?
9. At the time of its construction in 1974, Flin Flon’s smoke stack was the third-tallest free-standing structure in Canada. A smoke stack in Sudbury, Ontario, was taller, as was which Canadian landmark?
10. Was The Sunless City, the book from which Flin Flon got its name, first published in 1880, 1905 or 1933?
11. Lord Tweedsmuir is believed to have been the first Governor General of Canada to visit Flin Flon, in 1939. Does he have an avenue, street or boulevard named in his honour?
12. True or false: Flin Flon’s Chamber of Commerce once briefly considered a proposal form a new province, called Pre-Cambria, by taking sections of northern Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta?
13. The Reminder first published in October of which year: 1932, 1946, 1951 or 1977?
14. Did Bruce Fidler become Creighton mayor in 1997, 2003 or 2012?
15. In 2015, Hudbay commenced commercial production at Constancia mine, its first non-North American mine. In which country is the mine located?
16. Last year saw Chief Peter ______ win re-election as chief of Peter Ballantyne Cree Nation.
17. Creighton’s Prospector Inn closed last year but is now slated for a reopening. What was the motel originally known as?
18. Who is the current chairman of the Flin Flon school board?
19. Outside his Main Street confectionery, deceased former mayor Jack Freedman installed a _______ that was quite popular with residents: newsstand, blackboard, coffee bar, sundial.
20. Decades ago, Tom Baird and Joe Gurba opened the Putt-A-_____ miniature golf course: Putt, Round, Ball, Night.
1. The Lion King
2. Nazir Ahmad
3. Chris Bortis, Gary Childerhose
4. White Avenue
5. Moose Leg
8. Hapnot Collegiate
9. Toronto’s CN Tower
17. RJ’s Motel and Restaurant
18. Murray Skeavington