Test your knowledge of the Flin Flon area’s past and present with The Reminder’s latest community quiz.
1. “Stag” was the first word in a recreational facility once based on Main Street. What sport did people play there?
2. How many residents does Flin Flon have according to the latest census: 7,582, 4,702 or 5,592?
3. A now-defunct subsidiary of Hudson Bay Exploration and Development Company Ltd was founded in 1930 and went by the acronym HBAT. What form of transportation did HBAT provide?
4. Was Etcetera was the name of the school newspaper at Hapnot Collegiate, Sir Maurice Roche School or Ruth Betts School?
5. What is the name of the junior miner currently drilling at the Pine Bay property near Flin Flon?
6. Is Richard Carnegie the former mayor of Creighton or of Denare Beach?
7. Did production at Trout Lake mine begin in 1976, 1982 or 1988?
8. Did Hudbay’s new Flin Flon zinc plant open in 1988, 1993 or 1998?
9. How many Flin Flon citizens joined the Second World War effort: 538, 1,380 or 1,923?
10. It was famous for its coffee bar and convenience items, but prior to its 2007 closure, the store’s full name was Johnny’s Confectionery and ________ Centre.
11. What service did the now-defunct Romik Communications provide?
12. Which of the following is NOT an avenue in Flin Flon: Burke Avenue, MacKenzie Avenue, Balsam Avenue.
13. What animal is depicted in the official logo for the Northern Village of Denare Beach?
14. Operation Red ____ is a volunteer service that provides rides home to holiday revellers.
15. Is Frank Wiegers currently a municipal councillor in Creighton or in Denare Beach?
16. Did Pioneer Square open in 2008, 2011 or 2014?
17. Prior to 1993, when was the last time the Flin Flon Bombers won a league championship: 1957, 1979 or 1984?
18. Which of the following is NOT an avenue or street in Creighton: 7th Avenue, Broderick Avenue or Green Street?
19. Was Bruce Keddie once the mayor of Creighton or Flin Flon?
20. Flin Flon native Dr. _____ Gunston is credited with developing the world’s first total-replacement artificial knee.
Answers 1. Bowling; 2. 5,592; 3. Air transportation; 4. Hapnot; 5. Callinex Mines Inc.; 6. Creighton; 7. 1982; 8. 1993; 9. 1,380; 10. Sporting; 11. Cable television; 12. MacKenzie Avenue; 13. A beaver; 14. Nose; 15. Denare Beach; 16. 2011; 17. 1984; 18. 7th Avenue; 19. Flin Flon; 20. Frank.